Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Don't listen to the naysayers

earth titan

Viewing log of a newbie

As from yesterday lunchtime, I was feeling despondent about the chances of clear skies, thanks to the bods at the MET office, BBC etc. but driving home from a friends house I noticed breaks in the cloud and the unmistakable bright point of Jupiter. Got home, kissed the wife, put the hens to bed and set myself up at the bottom of the garden.

No moon, intermittent clouds and a few favourite podcasts on the MP3 player. Still warm although lots of moisture in the air.

Time to try the new GSO40mm revelation eyepiece as it hasn’t really had any use through the summer. Started off lining up on Mirach , while listening to ‘Just a minute’, then up until the Andromeda galaxy came into view. Nice and clear so popped in the x2 Barlow then stepped up to a 20mm plossl to bring M110 into view at the same time (I think). Think the 40mm will get a lot of use to find my way around and star hop as well as looking at clusters.

Clouds started to appear in this area so back in with the 40mm and pointed up at Sagitta to find the Dumbbell for the first time. Needed to pop the 20mm back in to see it and there it was – ghostly grey but definitely there.

While in the area, had a brief look at Albirio to see the colours then a wait for a while as the clouds came in again.

Clouds cleared while ‘In our time’ came on the iPod, so went back to the north north east. Found my way to Perseus then followed it up to the Double Cluster. Now that’s what the 40mm was bought for. Both clusters in the eyepiece (almost) among a very star saturated background.

Thought I might have a look at the Pleiades, but due to the low position in the sky and the amount of local light pollution, it proved impossible to find. Try later in the year when Taurus is higher in the sky.

By now, more clouds were coming in and dew was forming on just about everything, so scooted off to have a quick look at Jupiter. With the 6mm plossl in I can clearly see the one cloud band left and three moons. Stellarium suggests these are Callisto, Ganymede and Europa, all bright, clear and pin sharp.

Dew becoming a real problem now, but the first night for ages where it was dark enough to do some DSO hunting. Packed up and off to bed.

Enthusiasm restored.

Archived