Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QSI 583 Large Format CCD Camera

JonH

I'm looking at CCD cameras at the moment and wondered if anyone on here has any experience of one of these: QSI Imaging from Ian King Imaging.

Options include internal filter wheel and integrated OAG, and it's been awarded a Hot Product 2010 from Sky and Telescope.

Looks like a good deal to me but I'd really appreciate some input from you seasoned imagers out there.

Many thanks,

Jon

We have one here at Durham University (with the filter wheel) for the undergraduates to use on a 14" Meade, but unfortunately it has not been commissioned yet (and won't be until October). The build quality looks very good though.

NigelM

It's a KAF 8300...which you're paying £1200 more than the Atik 383L+ version for essentially (okay some cooling diffs too) an integrated FW.. That's my ONLY caveat, as they are very good cameras QSI's, but for less you'd get the Atik/EFW2 and a full set of filters and still have about £300 change

Problem with the 383L+ right now is they are like hens teeth..and if that doesn't make it a hot product...?

Thanks Nick, point taken.

It would be prudent to do a full price comparison with Atik, including all the necessaries - filter wheels, etc. I'm in no great rush and we're talking big wads here.

And I thought choosing a telescope was a nightmare!

Archived