Observatory Pier & Mount Advice

Hi to all,

I`m thinking of investing in an Observatory for my Celestron Nexstar6 (Possibly will upgrade to the Nexstar8 next year).

I want to use the observatory to be able to increase my `Viewing Time`, and will want to get further in to Astro Imaging.

Can anyone give me some advice on what Pier and Mount to buy to enable the above to happen without too much hassle.

The Observatory will have a power supply.

Thanks in advance

Mark

If youre going to buy a mount you don't need a nexstar 8se get an 8" sct ota and a mount i dont do much imaging myself but those who do use the skywatcher/ synta mounts as being the most cost effective. eq6 will give you tracking and should handle the weight but to be fair people will give you better advice if you can give more details. for example cost, how much weight you intend to put on it setup etc

Ok, done a bit more investigating (reading) -

I`m now thinking of going for the SkyPod observatory (has anyone got any feedback on these), or has ayone any views on any other observatory`s available? my budget is upto £3k

I`m thinking of laying a concrete base for it to be mounted on with a solid Wood floor laid inside.

I thought I would have to install a pier, but have read of a number of Observatory setups using a tripod (any feedback on this appreciated).

If I decided to go for the pier option later I could cut a hole in the wood floor and bolt a pier in place? (thoughts?)

Any feedback appreciated

Mark

Hi Mark.

My first plan was a 'conventional' dome, possibly a Skypod. However I went off the idea.

First of all a dome of any colour says to certain people 'expensive astro & photo kit in here, please remove'.

Second. 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' spoke. She didn't really want something that looked like a bottle recycling bin in the garden.

So I started looking at a roll off roof shed. That's what I ended up with and. Despite some mistakes in build, avoidable with hindsight, I don't regret the choice.

I put in a concrete pier on a deep foundation. Basically so I could carry any scope that my wallet might fund in the future. Then I put a down a separate concrete base for the shed, then planted the shed on top.

OK, there was a bit more to it. If you are interested in the 'shed' approach drop me a PM.

I went for the SkyShed POD and Altair Astro pier and am absolutely delighted with it. I have done more astronomy in the last 2 - 3 months than I have in the last 3 years. The saving of time in setting up and clearing away and scope cooling means that it is easy to go out for just half an hour. I was concerned about the POD advertising the presence of expensive gear but my garden is not visible from the road. I also like the 180 degree view rather than a slit and the half dome does give some protection from the wind and to my surprise dew.

There are more detail here

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/108274-my-new-skyshed-pod.html

I have an NEQ6 mount on the pier and that has been excellent especially using EQmod software to control the scope.

Dave

(Lack of) security meant i am with DavidValentine in the RO/RO shed approach. If you haven't already, check out the DIY Observatories section, DIY Observatories - Stargazers Lounge - loads of good and cost effective ideas and leaves more £ for kit

after-thought, are you aware that FLO have a brand new 8SE discounted at the moment - http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/114010-celestron-8-se-clearance.html

I went for the SkyShed POD and Altair Astro pier and am absolutely delighted with it. I have done more astronomy in the last 2 - 3 months than I have in the last 3 years. The saving of time in setting up and clearing away and scope cooling means that it is easy to go out for just half an hour. I was concerned about the POD advertising the presence of expensive gear but my garden is not visible from the road. I also like the 180 degree view rather than a slit and the half dome does give some protection from the wind and to my surprise dew.

There are more detail here

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/108274-my-new-skyshed-pod.html

I have an NEQ6 mount on the pier and that has been excellent especially using EQmod software to control the scope.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the advice, it looks like the Skyshed is the option I`ll be going with.

Thanks for the link to your skyshed page, looks really well put together.

A couple of questions -

What size did you have the decking base made?

How secure is the Skyshed? both the Dome and the entry door.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

The size of base depends on how many bays you choose to have, and how they are organised. Mine has 3 bays that are adjacent and the minimum size for that is 114" square. My base is 120" square to allow some flexibility.

If you go to SkyShed POD XL3 2.4m Observatory Dome :: SkyShed POD observatory dome :: Altair Astro at the bottom of the page is a link to planning your observatory and gives details of what size is needed for any layout.

With regards to security, the door is locked with a similar lock to a car or van door. I imagine anyone really determined will get in, but it would be difficult for the casual thief. This reminds me of when we were having an extension, the speed that a builder can knock down a wall is quite alarming. The dome is well bolted down and not capable of being rotated or lifted when secured. The walls are bolted to the decking.

I do remove expensive gear when I'm away.

There was an incident when mine first went up when a child in the school that backs onto my garden threw a large brick sized lump of concrete that hit the dome with an enormous crash. It didn't, much to my surprise, leave a scratch - so they are tough.

The child was caught.

I hope that answers your question. Feel free to PM me if you need any more help. Where abouts do you live? It would be worthwhile seeing one in the flesh.

Dave

Archived