Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do meade etx90s ever cool down properly?

tenbyfifty

As an experiment last night I left the etx 90 outside for 3 hours in the early evening hoping to finally get rid

of the heat haze effect but it hardly made any difference to the view I had at the start of the night.

I was using maximum mag for the scope ie a 6.7mm ep (= 186x) and was looking at the moon.

There was still a noticeable effect with a meade 25mm ep (= 50x).

My bresser skylux however at 104x was nice and crisp and only a little bit wobbly - not bad

considering it was 1/10th the price.

Anyone with the same scope get the same problem?

I have a 125 and no problems at all. About half hour is usually enough. May I suggest you get the scope check by your dealer?

Gary

Unfortunately the scope is on loan. What is the likely cause of the heat-haze effect. Is it just poor seeing?

Like I said, its not as noticeable with my cheap refractor. Are better quality optics more affected by poor seeing?

Sheepishly, I take it all back. I tried again tonight and there was nowhere near as much heat haze type wobbliness as last night.

I think it was all atmospheric; a day of high pressure over blighty and things were a lot more stable.

Come to think of it there was a bit of a breeze last night as well.

Maks are back in my good books.

forgot to mention that I barlowed up my seriess 3000 6.7 mm with a pretty average 2x from scopenskies,

expecting 360x to be a bit too much for a 90mm scope and frankly it wasn't that bad - to use a tv metaphor,

it was kind of watchable - nowhere near as blurry as I thought it would be - cheap optics have their

uses too! we are talking about the moon ofcourse.

Archived