Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Awesome Jupiter Sept 1 with Io Transit and SEB spot

DarkerSky

Jupiter was unbelievably good last night in my 16". Seeing was mostly II giving some really sharp views at times. I was hopping around with so much excitement!!

16" x215 magnification

Observation: 22.00UT to 23.00 UT

Sketch 22.00 UT - 22.30UT

Seeing: II

System I - 167 degrees

System II - 294 degrees

Jupiter1Sept.png

Io was in transit across the planet, and for a while I could make out a bright white shimmering light of Io itself as it moved from darkness onto the limb right at the start of the observation. The SEB seemed much more defined tonight - darker than it has been all apparition.

And it haboured a guest!!

Nestled between Io's shadow and the limb the SEB featured a large dim grey spot!! Could this be the start of the SEB revival?? ** There is a possibility that this dim spot is in fact Io itself once it had moved from the limb - features on Jup all move so quickly, so difficult to be sure **

The NEB was stunning. An enclosed elongated white area was transiting the CM. For all the world it looked like Jupiter was smiling at me. A little to its right was a thin line than seemed to transect the NEB diagonally.

The NTB and NNTB were really sharp. The NTB featured a gap between two darkened areas near the follwing limb. The NNTB seemed to curve upwards close to the CM in a wavy line that turned back northwards to the left of the CM. North of the NNTB close to the follwing limb was a small white oval.

In the south the STB was well defined but broken in places. A very dark area seemed to expand into a spot on the following limb of the STB. Above it was a clearing before another darker line was seen - possibly a north and south element to the STB? Above this towards the south pole was another darkened belt that seemed to extend most the way across the disk. This I have taken to be the SSTB - or could be just a better defined edge to the SPR.

All in all - awesome!!

Thanks for the comments all.

I would say that there is certainly potential for the SEB to return soon. I was out again last night and got a quick look at Jupiter. The SEB again seemed darker and more defined than at any point this apparition. :o

Archived