Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

light pollution filter

hi

i found jupiter for the first time the other night but it was very bright and not lots of detail. there is a lampost i have to aim just above from my garden to find jupiter and after calling a local shop was advised i might need a light pollution filter. does anyone agree with this?

i must admit that it made sence after the guy explained it and they have always been very helpful in the past. i aint doubting it just wondered if anyone had same problem and did it help to bring the planet into more detail?

also when looking at the moon i found it very bright on the eye the other night can u get moon filters?

Concerning Jupiter and the circumstance that there is a street lamp near your line of sight, a filter will not help that much. There will be a substancial reduction of glare if you can manage to shield yourself and the scope from that light.

Colour filters (blue for instance) however can enhance some details like banding in the planet.

Light Pollution filters (wether they are broad band or line filters) will help better with deep-sky.

To reduce the brightness of the moon there are indeed filters. There is a simple filter that gives you a constant reducion of light; and another one (in fact it's two polarized filters that rotate one relative to the other) that only allow 1 to 40% of the light to pass. These are filters.

Then forget the filter. It won't help. But if you wait half an hour, Jupiter will move away from the lamp then you will not have that anoying straylight entering in your scope.

problem is there trees to the other side lol

i have bought the filter anyhow to see if it helps am sure in time i will use it anyhow as i am in a cul de sac with a few lights around.

Archived