Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting started with 8x42s

samdoshi

Hello all, I'm fortunate enough to own a rather nice pair of Nikon HGL 8x42 binoculars which I have been mainly using for terrestrial observing and a bit of (very) light astro.

At some point in the future I'm planning on buying a telescope, but figured I'd get started with the binoculars I already own, to that end, can anyone recommend a book or a website that is geared up for someone with low power binoculars?

We're planning on going on holiday somewhere dark and secluded at some point in the next six weeks, I've also managed to track down a tripod adaptor (why is that fancy binoculars never have a tripod screw?). I have a good carbon fibre camera tripod and ball head, I'm guessing that using it will be hard work on my neck, but that it should be fine for an initial foray?

For books and the like you could trawl through this forum. There are plenty of books mentioned throughout.There is also the binocular links above.

8x42 is my most used binocular. From a dark site you will be surprised at what these binoculars show. You are doing the right thing with using them to find your way around before investing in a scope.

Clear Skies.

Many people recommend Turn Left At Orion, which I have and think is marvellous, like a road atlas, gives you an easy reference point to start from and gives you directions to various objects to observe. It also gives a rating of what's easy/not easy to see, does include ratings for bins thiugh most are rated for small scopes. I also have Phiilips Stargazingwith binoculars, not as good but only £8 where as Turn Left was over £20.....you pays your money and takes your choice!

Happy hunting

Neil

Thanks for the replies. I've seen the Turn Left at Orion book, but was never sure how suitable it was for use with binoculars. I'll have a another look. The IFAS PDF in the binoculars links looks very good, I think that combined with one of the virtual star maps apps on my iPhone will be enough to get me started.

Thanks.

I've got SkyVoyager and Star Walk on my iPhone, and Starmap Pro on my iPad. I've found Starmap very useful for planning when planets and celestial bodies are visible (great for the moons of Jupiter too), but it strikes me as a bit too complex for field use.

Star Walk is fabulous for orientating yourself in the (light polluted) night sky. Haven't played with SkyVoyager much, got it when they were giving it away for free during the moon landing celebrations last year.

Thanks for the book recommendation.

Archived