Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Done it again!

TheThing

I've collected a few nice items over the last couple of cloudy months - a SW200 Explorer; SW autofocuser; a nice polar scope illuminator and; a motor drive for my EQ4 type mount.

Finally, there was a break in the clouds last night, so got it all polar aligned and set up ready to do some lunar and Jupiter imaging. Was just getting the webcam focused on the moon and thick cloud rolled in from nowhere! It covered the sky from horizon to horizon! I hung about for over an hour waiting for a break, but it just got thicker and thicker!

Still, I managed to ensure that the motor works fine (it tracked the slightly brighter spot in the clouds that were covering the moon nicely) - thanks Saturn1. The Polar scope illuminator works brilliantly - thanks Dion's Shed/Tophouse. The SW autofocuser is a dream - thanks FLO and Mrs TheThing.

I also discoered that I had a much lower profile 2" and 1.25" focuser tube on a filter wheel which I swapped for the SW standard one, giving me loads more in focus. I think I'll try the replacement SW focuser that FLO have on their site as well as it might have less slop than the standard one.

So, not quite a wasted night, but frustrating all the same!

You're so right Carol. Clear as a bell tonight so got out and managed to get some imaging done. Couple of hours out but it only took me 10 mins to be up and running.

Finally got polar aligning nailed thanks to Dion. For the first time ever the Dec hasn't needed tweaking every couple of mins. Good stuff indeed!

Archived