Best way of cleaning your Lenses

I have a Plossl 12mm and 25mm plus a 2X Barlow. What is the best way of cleaning these Lenses?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sky-Watcher 130mm EQ2 Newtonian Reflector Telescope

-130mm EQ2 Reflector Telescope130mm (5.1 inch) diameter primary mirror -900mm focal length, f/6.9

-20.4 sq. in. light grasp

-307x maximum theoretical magnification and 1.08 arc-sec resolving power

One word.... LENSPEN, they are absolutely brilliant! As a glasses wearer I have been cleaning lenses regularly for about 25 years (I suddenly went short sighted at 21)

For me, this is the PERFECT lens cleaning system :-

HURRICANE/AIR BLOWER. SENSOR&LENS CLEANING DUST REMOVAL on eBay (end time 14-Sep-10 11:55:28 BST)

LENSPEN GENUINE AND FROM UK on eBay (end time 24-Sep-10 06:19:17 BST)

For those little plossl's look up micro lenspen.

I 'liberate' Uvex lens cleaning fluid and Kimberley-Clarke delicate task wipes from work, the wipes are designed for laborotory use and are ideal for spectacles, camera lenses and telescope optics. The fluid is specifically designed for lenses.

I have not experienced any problems whatsoever using these, kindly donated, products.

A hurricane blower is a must for moving any loose dust prior to the cleaning operation.

To get into the tight spaces of an EP, I'll use either the wipe, twisted into a point, of a cotton bud for anything stubborn.

One piece of kit I have is a, er... whatsit, you know, those things that Drs. use to look into your ears and at your retina, this allows my myopic eye to see right into the EP and spot any specks (I stumble upon it on fleabay one day).

My advise is... moderation and caution.

The above posts have good advises, but the best is prevention. Avoid totally aqny contact of your fingers with the lenses; avoid as much as possible eyelashes on the lenses; always keep your lenses away from moisture and dust (use the eyecups when the EP's are not being used). Only when needed use the cleaning procedures with care.

Remember that your EP's are more sensible than glasses. If you wear glasses, you'll change the lenses every 2 years or so. But eyepieces may last for decades, if they're well looked after.

Archived