NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

nothing special

@@.

just been out in the garden (to see if i could get a glimpse of the local hedge hog) and oh what a lovely clear night. although the moons quite big and bright, just past the full and about 30d above the horizon in the SE, the seeing is great. i managed to see 6 of the 7 main stars in ursa major, which is good on a clear moonless night. Jupiter is brilliant just next to the moon and i know that Uranus is lurking just a couple of degrees away (thanks to this months focus mag) so ill be having a look through the binos later and will no doubt at least see some of the Galilean Satellites ( the four biggest moons that circle Jupiter discovered by ....yes yes i know you know). later i looked south to see if i could see much of the elusive constellation delphinus, just to the left of altair, the southern most point of the summer triangle, and lo, i could see the 4 main stars.. lovely. and just then i was so lucky to see a wicked meteor/shooting star, which i think could have been a late perseid, strait through Cygnus,the swan constellation, from tail to nose. looking north, bang, straight away, i saw a flash of light then gone, i kept watching the area and the flash again, a tumbler satellite spinning its way north. great view of the milkyway, well, when i say great i mean its vaguely discernible as long as you don't concentrate too much trying to see it directly. what i do is look up at cygnus and then, not taking my eyes off cygnus but concentrating on my peripheral vision, slowly turn through 90 to 180 degrees, it works cos i showed my mate steve and he said wow it goes right over there and pointed at perseus and, it does.

Last night the seeing was superb - I finally got to see real detail on Jupiter, it came completely into focus every few seconds. I hope someone managed to get a webcam onto it.

Archived