Help for a new star gazer?

Hi All

I have just purchased a Sky-watcher Skyhawk 1145p synscan AZ GOTO reflector telescope and i was just wondering if anyone could give me a little help.

I live in Reading, Berkshire and was wondering how i find out which directional division i am in as it doesn't explain in the booklet how i go about finding this, it just tells me that i need to input this in the alignment screen. Does it mean as i am in the South East/Central area of England that my directional division would be the Southeast sky?

It also states that there is GPS in the synscan computer - will this give me my longitudinal and latitudinal position?

I'd be most grateful if anyone could help me out with this. ;)

Having looked up the scope I suspect that you have the wrong idea about what it is asking for. It is not asking where you are but in which direction the first alignment star is to be selected. Easy enough as the first time I read through the instructions they made little sense to me. Not my scope someone elses.

What I think it is asking for is a section of the sky, North, North East, East, etc.

You set the scope up then start the alignment. It asks for a section of the sky in which you can see a bright star or two.

From the date, time, lat, long and DST supplied by you, it has a list internally of stars that should be easy to pick out in that section. It then asks you to go to the displayed/chosen one and centre it. You have to have some idea of what star is which. Work out where Arcturus is then pick that direction.

The scope then (I think) picks another all by itself and goes and points at it itself, you have to then center it.

If all done in sufficent time it says OK I'm aligned.

If you are Reading then your Lat is about 51.5N and Long is about 1W. Date is US Format but it is obvious and it says Month Day Year. DST is On/Yes.

Advice is this:

Level the mount, level the scope, level the Tube, point the tube North.

The levelling is necessary so take a little time, the more accurate the better.

The pointing North isn't necessary but is useful. Makes it a lot easier for you to work out where a bright star is if you stand behind the scope looking north. West = Left, Right = East etc.

No idea about the GPS, wouldn't have thought that one was fitted.

Hope it is what I think the problem is.

When I first read the set up instructions I had to go back twice and convince myself. I was used to the Meade's and their setup in some ways is easier. Problem I suspect is that Meade got it first and others cannot copy.

As the north and level of the tube isn't necessary, the levelling of the main unit and tripod is, one option is level it all and aim the tube at polaris. That's North, so again makes it simpler to pick which section something like Arcturus is in and is again a good start point for you to make the first slew to.

Think I have read of SW's doing a level north start but it may be part of a handset software upgrade.

The main thing is to find out what has to be done then get a sequence of steps that you find easy.

thanks for the reply again capricorn,we decided to give it a go tonight while there were no clouds in the sky. When we tried to set up the telescope the manual said to use the finderscope and align the cross hairs over the centre of the object we were looking at,when we did this and looked through the main telescope we could see nothing. it does say the finderscope needs to be set up perfectly but we can't seem to get it right. Does anyone have any advice on this as its going to be very hard to set up the telescope otherwise

Thanks

Hi Bernini - you need to align the finderscope with the main tube first. This is best done in daylight on a distant object 1-2 miles away (e.g. church spire, pylon, etc..). It can be done at night but much easier by day. Then when finding stuff - use a low power eyepeice first (eg 25mm-30mm).

If the finder and tube are aligned together, then the star you're looking at in the finder should appear somewhere in the ep (maybe a tad off center). Center it up in the ep, then adjust the finder so the star is central in that too and you're good to go.

Hope that helps ;)

Thanks for all the help and advice guys it's really appreciated. Still having a little trouble with the finderscope, have tried to align it and it sort of works but it is very blurred and what little adjustment is available on it seems to make no difference. We did try the advice from Brantuk but as soon as i try to tighten the holding screws it moves and i'm back to square one. Does anyone know if there is a red dot finder to fit my skyhawk 1145p synscan az goto? As this may be better for me.

On a more positive note i just wanted to share the photo my husband took through our telescope using a Agfa 10mp camera, i was very impressed. ;) (i forgot to set the correct date and time on the camera, pic taken 28/8/2010)

post-20837-133877475638_thumb.jpg

On finders the focus is often adjusted by screwing the main front lens up or down the tube. It is usually held by a lockring next to it. I don't know if this is the case with yours but have a look, maybe.

Well done with the moon.

Olly

Archived