SW ED80 Pro Help Please

Hello All

I have a SW ED80 Pro and tried doing some imaging with the aid of a SPC 900nc webcam that has been modded with IR Filter etc. Well I had no problem obtaining focus and doing some iamging with the star diagonol inserted, but I could not acheive focus with just the webcam inserted into my scope (without star diagonal fitted).

I am sure I read somewhere that I may need extension tubes etc etc to acheive focus. Please could someone give me a few pointers on this? I think I also read that imaging without the star diagonal fitted gets better results too.

Please could also give me some pointers on the best imaging software for capturing, I have read about K3CCD Tools 3 and believe there are folk out there who use this?

Just to say that we have had very clear skies over here on the IOM and have 4 nights viewing of Jupiter and her 4 moons. Its just a pity the moon is too bright, lol.

Looking forward to some replies.

Thanking you all in advance, Hadyn - Isle of Man

The light path is longer with the diagonal installed so you may need an extension attached, as you say, so that you have the same distance for the light to travel and can achieve focus. I had the same problem with my DSI camera.

You answered the diagonal yourself, the diagonal contains a prism/mirror which does not reflect the light 100 percent so you lose a bit...a bit dimmer. So without the diagonal more light hits the ccd i.e. Its better!

Don't image but without the diagonal the optical path is too long so yes you need an extender. Seen posts about this at other times.

Try FLO as this isn't rare and they probably have what you need, or try whoever supplied it. Another option may be Ian King Imaging who should have a range of bits.

CCD Cameras, Telescopes and Accessories from IanKingImaging

Archived