Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Same old question

The same old question - buying a scope.

Although new to the hobby I have some experience of getting around the sky - being a land surveyor "in years gone by" we would observe position fixes and azimuths from the stars.

However, I have retained my interest and feel I would like to go a step further. I have read many of the questions and answers and feel somewhat confused in making a choice.

Initially and realistically interest would be confined to observing the planets and moon, and at the moment have no interest(or finances) for astrophography.

I have thought that the Skywatcher Explorer 150P & EQ3 or the 200P & EQ5 would be suitable. However I would welcome any comments or suggestion as I wish to avoid buying something totally unsuitable

150P on an EQ3 will cost less, 200P on an EQ5 will cost more.

If you want just one scope for the next 5years then the 200P.

The "advantage" of the 150 is that it is smaller and so easier to put in a car and transport.:)

Both will need collimating at intervals, so budget for whatever preferred collimating tool you decide on. Probably have to buy each one to find out.:eek::D:D

As it is not an HEQ5 I guess that the 200P+EQ5 wins.:)

Expect on buying a set of motors at some time. A lot easier to press a button.:D

Budget on 2 additional better eyepieces sooner rather then later:icon_scratch:

Go to astro-baby.com and get her guide to setting up an EQ mount.:)

Welcome to SGL!

My first thought is to wonder if there's any point in buying an EQ mount? They have some downsides - they need at least some alignment, balancing, and with a Newtonian the eyepiece ends up in odd places. For imaging there's a need for an EQ mount, but for purely visual observing much less so.

If you want to start with the Moon and Planets and take it from there, then i'd suggest the Dobsonian version. The 200P is very reasonably priced, and will show you an awful lot - your initial targets are unmissable, but you'll quickly find your way around the sky for other things too. It's also very portable, and a worthwhile increase in aperture over the 150P.

Agree that you should budget for a collimator and (in due course) some new eyepieces, but with a Dob you're getting maximum "bang for the buck" because almost all of your cash is going on the optics.

Archived