Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally, Jupiter in My Sight

Adam Isa

Hello all. Got home late and decided to get the telescope out seeing as though there wasn't a single cloud in sight! Immediately pointed it a Jupiter and was stunned at the clarity! And, not only that, I could see all four moons crystal clear!

Put the Barlow in and it just looked amazing. Can't wait for the moon to show it's face, and Saturn!

Had end it prematurely due to a street lamp being directly where I need to point the telescope. It really spoils the viewing. I'm so tempted to paint it with black gloss or something.

I was so impressed with it. Not much else to say really, other than wow!

hi congrats on your sighting..

im interested to know how long the planet was in view for with the standard eye pieces you have, il be getting a 10" Dob soon and been thinking without the auto tracking how much viewing time you actually get before having to adjust the scope.

Hi Daryl. I used a Skywatcher 25mm with a 3x Barlow as well as a 10mm on it's own. The image stayed in my field of view for about 30 seconds, maybe a bit less. Like you, I have Dobsonian without the tracking, but I find it quite easy now to adjust the telescope and keep it my field of view. It only requires very slight adustments, so you have to learn to not be too heavy handed.

I completely under estimated how important a good and well aligned finderscope is. It makes the task of sighting objects in the eyepieces sooo much more easier.

Thx for the reply mate... thats a reasonable amount of time, bet it was a great feeling to see it through the scope, out of interest what finder do you use with your dob, been thinking of a right angled one for mine as sighting along the tube looks like its rather uncomfortable, though judging by some of the pics ive seen a Rigel at the end of the tube may be ok.

Hi Daryl. When I saw it, I was blown away. The mind starts racing at just how far away these things are and how small we really are.

I have a 10x50 right angled finderscope attached to the Dobsonian. Also came with the standard one but gave that to my brother-in-law as well as the old telescope to get him into it! I find it much better with a right angled one, no awkward position.

Archived