NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reminder - Europa Transit

stev74

Just thought it was worth posting a reminder, from the Sky at Night Magazine....

"If the skies are clear on 14th August, a view from 02:40 BST will show the moon Europa close to the southeastern edge of the planet, with the moon's shadow as a dark spot close to the central meridian. Europa then moves on to the planet's disc and as it does so, it'll move in front of the GRS".

So far so good, clear skies and weather forecast saying only 1% to 18% cloud for my area. :p

I'll hopefully bag a few more Perseid's while I wait for the transit, looking forward to a good night!! :)

Cheers

According to Stellarium, this event happened early this morning (14th) and not the coming morning as you suggest. At the moment Europa is far to the right of Jupiter's disk for any transit to occur tonight. Sorry to burst your bubble.

OOPS....eh.... I'll get my coat, as I seem to have misplaced my time machine!! :p

I should have realised, it was wall to wall cloud last night, it was never going to happen on a clear night. :)

Still the GRS will do nicely.

Hopefully a few of you got to see it!? :D

Cheers

Well I just got the scope set up cos Jupiter was standing bang in the middle of the bedroom window - got it nicely focused in the 5mm Rad - and b**ger me the clouds rolled over the view. No transits though I'm afraid - all the moons were out to the sides. :p

Archived