NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

sketches of what i will see?

Astorix

Evening all,

a couple of months ago i asked if some one could tell me what certain things in the sky might look like through my scope and some posted a link to a website that allowed me to enter my scope and ep, it would then show me a skecth of the obhect with the size and brightness i would see it. i think Talitha? any idea what the site is?

many thanks

Yes it is a great resource Sam, i feel guilty about not contributing anything for such a long time but there's only so many hours to a day. The thing that i really like about the DSA is that almost all of the contributors are purists (like myself) who don't tweak their sketches in a photo program.. what we sketch is what you see. TBH, it's a lot more helpful to see pure sketches when researching a target, because when they're tweaked in a photo program you can't be sure how much the original sketch has been altered. And even better yet, the site doesn't have anywhere for people to place comments, so it keeps the glory-seeking artists to a minimum. :p

Hmmm... no idea, Astorix. Were they eyepiece sketches, or were they computer simulations of what 'might' be seen in the eyepiece?

Yes it is a great resource Sam, i feel guilty about not contributing anything for such a long time but there's only so many hours to a day. The thing that i really like about the DSA is that almost all of the contributors are purists (like myself) who don't tweak their sketches in a photo program.. what we sketch is what you see. TBH, it's a lot more helpful to see pure sketches when researching a target, because when they're tweaked in a photo program you can't be sure how much the original sketch has been altered. And even better yet, the site doesn't have anywhere for people to place comments, so it keeps the glory-seeking artists to a minimum. :p

That really sounds like my kind of site. I have been blown away with my new telescope and feel that a picture says more than a thousand words when it comes to recording an observing session.

Archived