Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope advice

I'm looking for some advice on telescope choice. I have always been interested in astronomy sinc e a child and had a 60mm tasco refractor when i was younger. I bought a tasco 114 mm reflector on an eq mount a few years ago but didnt use it too much until recently i have been interested in astrophotography. I am a little confused as what is the best telescope to get

I was initially interested in the celestron GOTO AZ telescopes but then realised that it wouldnt be much good if wanted to do SLR photography through it for DSO, I suppose I am looking for a compromise of a telescope good for Moon and planet work with a webcam for imaging and also will be good for DSO with an SLR , i did consider the

SKYWATCHER EXPLORER 150P EQ3 Pro SynScan GOTO

as a reasonable compromise but was hoping for some advice on what would be the best option for me , a refractor , reflector or MAK or Smidt-cas type . I have about £600 to spend .

Astrophotography is all about the mount. How good you can track object and counter effect star rotation. You need an HEQ5Pro or an EQ6 to really start doing long exposure of DSO. If you want to stick to planetary imaging then an EQ3 will be ok at best.

I once read a book (Backyard's Astronomer) that said it perfectly : If you do not have 3000$ to invest, then you should forget about astrophotography. It's a harsh reality but it's not far stretch from the truth.

Personally I like lunar imaging. You can get make some pretty stunning mosaic/image with limited gear. You don't have to worry about polar alignment, guiding scope,autoguider, dark/flats,bias, filter wheel, stacking....

I'd suggest first stop should be to get a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' by the estimable Steve Richards (Steppenwolf on the forum). FLO sell it.

It will give you a heads up on astroimaging for a beginner and may save you an expensive mistake.

Like fobbundturtle I usually say that years ago imaging was expensive and complex - and it still is :p But I am sure one of the imagers will be along shortly to advise.

Thanks. Just being playing around with a dslr and tripod at the moment and relatively happy with results. What would be considered a good 'all rounder' for seeing planets, moon, but with some chance of seeing double stars, galaxies etc i know im probably only going to be seeing faint white whispy bits :-) but would really. Appreciate advice. For example in the eq mount goto a better option at the compromise of smaller diameter scope or am i better with the az goto mounted scopes and a larger diameter , he he a lot easier when all the choice i had was what waas in the argos catalogue :-)

Archived