NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aligning the polar axis of an CG-4 mount at low latitudes

Hi,

I've been trying to polar align my Omni XLT 120 refractor for use at my home in Puerto Rico, which is in the Caribbean Sea at a latitude of approximately 18.5 degrees North. The problem is that since the latitude is low, the counterweights of my CG-4 mount hit the tripod leg which is labeled "North" and I cannot get any latitude lower than ~20 degrees. Do you know of any way or device that can help me with this? I am interested in astrophotography and for that I need to properly align my scope.

I hope that I explained myself correctly... I am somewhat new to these technical terms... Please help!

One of the guys in Singapore had a similar problem....

two solutions:

1. Shorten the north leg of the tripod!! - set the scale to a "safe" latitude and then just ease the leg down until you get polar alignment. The head doesn't have to be sitting horizontal - as long as the polar axis points to the pole everything is OK.

2. Make up a "reverse" wedge to fit the top of the tripod ie tilt the head backwards by say, 10-15 degrees and then use the altitude bots to "fine tune" the polar alignement as usual.

- I think he just shorten the leg - much easier!!

Ken

Archived