NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finally a Sunny Winter Day - A couple of close ups

Technobill

Thanks

Fantastic shots Bill! Which barlow are you using? Is it a H-a optimised Coronado 2x or a standard.

Agreed on AVIstack for solar images. Makes complete sense and so far has been almost fool proof, as long as the raw frames are inherently well focussed.

Encouraged to try a 2x barlow now and still learning the etalon tuning tricks!

Kind regards,

Sheri

Hi Sheri, Its just a standard 2x barlow. Nothing fancy. Its a 2 inch barlow and I fit it in front of the B1200 blocking filter along with some extension tubes.

But is not all roses. Had a bit of sunlight on Sunday but its was a bit windy. so as a result the day was a falure the resulting images were too blurry.

Regards

Bill D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find to get maximum resolution on a double stack (SM60's in my case) that I need to "de-tune" both filters just slight off the "brightest" Ha settings.

When the image is brightest with one filter, the etalon will be "exactly" centred on the Ha band.

To get the improved resolution each filter has to be either just to the left or to the right of the Ha, that way the resulting bandwith is much reduced ie from 0.8 or 0.7A down to 0.5 or 0.4A with a matching significant loss of brightness. Takes time to master but the results are worth it.

Ken

post-15261-133877474375_thumb.jpg

Encouraged to try a 2x barlow now and still learning the etalon tuning tricks!

Kind regards,

Sheri

One thing I have found with the barlows (I have tried a couple) is that they introduce a visual affect known as newton's rings. Very difficult to combat. Different arlows cause the problem to maniest in different ways

Bill D

Archived