NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pentax zooms

Hi all,

I'm really looking for a Pentax XF zoom 6.5 - 19.5mm. Does anyone know where I can order one, that is in stock now? If I can't get this I may go for a Baader zoom III but I'd much prefer the Pentax XF if possible...

Ant

I bought some Pentax bins off them once. Communication wasn't great but the bins arrived promptly. I got my XF zoom from Rother Valley Optics a few months ago for £204.00, but they don't list it anymore, but maybe worth a phone call.

When I had a look around this aft I was a bit shocked by what seems to be the new price at many dealers. Some dealers have it at £299.00 :) Hopefully you'll be able to get one at the old price.

John

Mixed responses from Microglobe - email reply said not in stock, phone enquiry said in stock. Perplexed, I ordered from Widescreen Centre online. Email confirmation received, but no indication of stock level. Will phone tomorrow for confirmation, but at that price it's even worth waiting a little while for!

Ant

What do you make of this EP John?

I had a look through one at the moon and was surprised by the amount of colour fringing around crater rims etc.

Ok the moon is pretty bright and i wasn't using any filters but i wasn't getting any colour from my other eyepieces.

Sorry if this is off topic, i was just surprised as my views through fixed fl Pentax EP's have been very good.

It's not something I've normally seen with this eyepiece, but last week when observing the moon with an 80mm Triplet APO I saw a lot of blue fringing that wasn't there with other eyepieces. However when I put the zoom back in I found that there was no blue fringing when I looked straight down into the eyepiece, but if I looked into the eyepiece at a slight angle it reappeared.

I'll have to do some further testing to see if it happens again or if atmospheric conditions on that night contributed to it.

John

I checked with Widescreen Centre today and they confirmed the order would be sent today! Also that there were several in stock!

Re false colour, it shouldn't be an issue for me on solar observing, as in H-alpha it won't exist, and when u8sing the Herschel Wedge I use a Solar Continuum filter, which effectively negates any false colour as well.

Should be here tomorrow.... ! ! !

Great news :):hello2::D

So now I know who to blame for tomorrows total cloud cover. :p But seriously I think you'll be very impressed with it.

One thing to note the zoom mechanism tends to be fairly stiff to rotate but very smooth. Also I use a parfocal ring to stop the barrel bottoming out in the Lunt eyepiece holder which is a bit on the short side.

John

It's arrived! :p

It looks and feels lovely! :)

It's lighter weight than I imagined! :D

The zoom rotation is stiff though, as John said. Does it loosen off or is that how it stays? I'll cope with it, I'm sure regardless. It does have a long chrome barrel - a parfocal ring will be on my shopping list, as previously mentioned too.

It is indeed a beautifully made eyepiece, first rate fit and finish. It goes with the Lunt 60 so well it looks as if it had been designed for it.

The rotation on mine is still stiff and hasn't changed since I got it. You soon learn to make sure that you've tightened the eyepiece locking screw properly. :p

John

Archived