Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pushing A Toucam To It's Limits

TopHouse

Having been playing around with toucam images for a couple of weeks, I've had a couple of thoughts, things that I've not had a chance to try but maybe others have.

With an un modded toucam (ie not long exposure modded) What are the limits? For instance, has anyone tried Pleides or maybe double cluster or hercules globular with one. It occured to me that if you can catch the moons of jupiter that you can't see naked eye, then surely you have a chance at items that you 'can' see or that at least are very close to being naked eye visible.

Has anyone played around with such things and have you had any results?

I had a go at the Trapezium in a 10" F5 and just got a hint of nebulosity but 4 stars separated out nicely - don't have the images unfortunately. Toucam would certainly be good for bright doubles in a moderate sized scope.

John.

@Michael, looks like a lot of those are done by grabbing stills at longest unmodded toucam exposure time and stacking them, might take a looky at that.

@John H, did you just shoot avi as in with planets but bring the gain up & shutter down? I'm thinking orion neb must be worth a go at, or the other targets i mentioned.

I'm definitely going to give it a try when the clouds clear, nothing ventured....

Archived