NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to mount a RDF on my 127 mak ?

After several night spent flailing around the night sky whilst crawling about on my knees trying to get my scope pointing towards a star to align on I've given in and bought a red dot finder. I ordered the baader sky surfer from flo.

Where abouts on my scope should it go ? I'm thinking that it should go further towards the top of the scope so I can see through it without braking my back like with the straight through finder but all the pictures I've seen have them positioned next to the finder.

Where should they go ?

RDF's are mounted on the same end of the scope as to where the EP is.

If you are standing behind your scope (EP end towards you), the RDF usually sits half way between the 9 o clock and 12 o clock position..........or halfway between the 12-3 o clock position.

There should be holes drilled into your scope tube to indicate where the RDF should go.

I dont know your scope. I'm sure someone will be better able to advise you.

Thanks Luke. So finder should be at 11 and rdf at 1 ?

There are thankfully no holes in my tube. I was planning on using Velcro or sticky pads if it's to heavy.

IF you want to use BOTH then yes i would say either one or the other at 11 and the other at 1.

To be honest i dont think many people use both together. I may be wrong. Most people use one or the other.

I started off using RDF but didnt care for them much as they offer zero magnification.

Only recently i have changed over to a finderscope (8x20) and it is a better system.

You're probably right I'll only need the one. I'll put it in the finder bracket and see how I get on.

I am gonna assume that the scope came with either a RDF or a finderscope. There WILL be pre drilled holes on the scope to place either one.

I use finder scopes and RDF's on the same scope. The RDF gets you close and then you can use the finder to get spot on. I think there are several people here who do as well.

The Sky Surfer is fantastic, but BIG! Velcro might work with it, but I'b be very careful.

When adding a 2nd finder, you can really put it where you like! There's no right or wrong place, just put it where you find it best.

I have my RDF's mounted on the tube rings as I find them less problamtical to drill thru (you don't have to worry about denting the tube wall or getting burr on the mirror etc)

Archived