Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at the moon last night

ezza123

Just having a play and learning Registax any tips or views welcome :-)

Im guessing I captured on the 320 size setting in Craterlet hence the small pic size?

I used 127 Mak with IR\UV filter on the end...maybe I should use the moon filter next time!

Aaron

post-19355-13387746569_thumb.jpg

A nice start Aaron, looks like you could do with lowering the gain a little, as it's a bit bright. It looks like the SLT mount is not getting excellent tracking (the edge cuts) at the magnification you are using, but that's going to be very taxing anyway. I've the same situation with my SLT mount.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had a chance to try any more moon images,

I will try with the gain lower and use my neodymium filter, I think that was my first avi - where I may have knocked the frame while recording!!!!

It is the SPC 900 cam.

Aaron, with the spc900, use only your ir block filter, for the spc900 I can't recommend enough using wcctrl to control the camera, the philips effort is very poor and doesn't give you any scale to work with on the sliders.

Get your moon in focus, set frame rate to 10, start with gain in the default middle position and take shutter speed up a little, this will darken the image slightly, now mess with gain until you have an acceptable brightness, if anything make it slightly dimmer that what you think looks right, it's fairly easy to compensate for a little under exposure but over exposure just burns out detail.

I'm stil waiting for the moon to come out enough and for the skies to clear so that I can view it through my new 12" Dob! But I have question, and I've got a feeling it is going to be a bit stupid... You say that you should have used a moon filter to see it better. What exactly does a moon filter do?

Archived