NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Capturing detail in Jupiter

Hi everyone,

I want to have a go at capturing Jupiter's cloud belts afocally. I have tried doing it before but the disk has always been over-exposed, much like my early Moon attempts. I tried lowering the shutter speed to 1/125 for the Moon, and it worked perfectly - do I do the same to image Jupiter? Does anyone have any advice or previous photos of afocal Jupiters?

Thanks.

It can be done, I did it many years ago on a 100mm reflector using eyepiece projection into an SLR without the lens. The problem is that exposures need to ne too long to hand hold the camera. You will need a bracket ot 2nd tripod to hold the camera still, I used to use a cable release so I didn't shake the camera/telescope. If you are using 1/125 sec exposure on the moon, you will need to be in the range 1/4 to 1/2 sec for Jupiter. If you can try to set the ISO rating to 800 and you may get up to 1/30 sec or so. Good luck.

Peter

Archived