PLANETARY FILTER KIT

My family offered to buy me a planetary filter kit for my new 10" dob.

I have often found that collections or kits never fulfill as much as items bought separately e.g. hi fi gear and wondered if the same applied to this question or was there indeed a good make of kit that would make me and my family happy? Any suggestions would be gratefully received

hi there

I have tried a few planetary filters but never really get on with them as I prefer the natural colours in truth. I have bought some individually from Astroboot and will try them on Jupiter soon.

Personally, I'd avoid a set. If you asked me for a recommendation on filters generally, I'd probably recommend either a UHC or Oiii filter as these will open up some things not visible without and also enhance a lot of other things you can 'just' see without.

I bought the Oiii http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/108143-review-castell-2-oiii-filter.html and it's great. I think the UHC is good on a wider range of targets. Something to consider.

cheers

Shane

hi there

I have tried a few planetary filters but never really get on with them as I prefer the natural colours in truth. I have bought some individually from Astroboot and will try them on Jupiter soon.

Personally, I'd avoid a set. If you asked me for a recommendation on filters generally, I'd probably recommend either a UHC or Oiii filter as these will open up some things not visible without and also enhance a lot of other things you can 'just' see without.

I bought the Oiii http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/108143-review-castell-2-oiii-filter.html and it's great. I think the UHC is good on a wider range of targets. Something to consider.

cheers

Shane

I just ordered the DMG optic NPB filter for nebula as it's reviewed as beating the best and at 60 quid from the US seems reasonable.

I have now read on this site a list of filters for planetary use so even more confused as it's quite long...

Hi Warren

I have had my Oiii filter for only about three weeks, used it once the day I got it (in the dob) and it's been cloudy since! I'll update my review thread once I get a chance so if you subscribe to that you'll get the update - I expect the answer will be yes.

good stuff - I bet you'll be happy. if I were you, I'd buy a colour filter (one for Jupiter maybe) for a few quid from Scopes n Skies or somewhere and see what you think.

Yes I was thinking mainly about Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, which colours will work best?

hi there

bear in mind that filters (hence the name) remove certain light from that which hits your eye in order to make features stand out more. the features are always there and sometimes 'blinking' a filter (hand holding it and passing it across the eyepiece) can help see a feature which can then be observed once you know where it is. I am no expert but this is what others have told me.

the following thread

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/107408-filters-how-necessary-what-colours.html

will be a good read for you, especially the link to the Lumicon site about four down.

good luck and do report back your findings please!

I have :

2"

Oiii

Neutral density / moon

Minus VR1 - chromatic aberration improvement

1.25"

Cheapo light pollution reducer

#25 Red

#23a Light Red

#21 Orange

#11 Yellow Green

In truth I bought the coloured ones mainly as make up the numbers items on Astroboot and am not sure what they are for!

Archived