Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

COM port nightmare

If you've got more than 1 USB port plug it into each. On my PC, when I plugged the USB-232 into any port for the first time it asked to install the driver again for each one. Better to do this now than outside in the dark one night.

AAaaahhhhhh..... that clears up a lot of my 'why the heck are you asking for the driver AGAIN!?' issues. Never even considered the OS could be as dumb as that :eek:

Thanks for that ;) don't have to learn anything else new today now :icon_eek:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed at Kelling last year, MikeP had colour coded his USB cables with the use of Marker pens. Each end of the cable was coloured, and the device port, and USB Hub port, all colour matched.

A great Idea, and should eliminate the need for driver reloads.

Ron.

Yes, when ever I get a new USB toy I plug it into each socket to load the drivers for each. I also colour code the cables and plug the same device into each socket each time.

When you have everything set up and plugged in you can go to device manager and for each virtual comport in advanced settings give them a number of your choosing rather than the odd numbers that might have been given them by the OS. Just mind you don't clash with another existing device like a modem, etc but they will be listed so you can avoid them anyway.

Archived