Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon 18 July 2010

TheThing

Finally, things conspired in my favour to allow me out last night to do some imaging with my (new to me) Orion StarShoot III.

Well, almost everything - the mount drive played up again, but I think I have that sussed. Had to manually track, but not a huge problem with the moon.

It's a little bit dark, but the very top is still over exposed. I'm not quite sure how to overcome that - hue, brightness, contrat or saturation - more playing required (and advice gratefull received!)

The bottom right is a little odd, but I think that is because the moon was fast disappearing behind a hedge.

13 single shots taken thru a f/5 6" Newt then stitched in Microsoft ICE.

post-14756-133877463685_thumb.jpg

That's very good for a bunch of single shots mosaiced. Not sure on the overexposure... are you adjusting exposure as you move around ? Do you check exposure on the entire surface before starting capturing ?

Yes, I'm trying to adjust as I go along. The whole moon fitted in about 4 - 5 panes, but I took plenty of overlaps to make sure I had everything covered and a lot of detail. The very light top area was in the same pane os Mare Imbrium and the terminator which are quite dark.

I suppose the key would be to have taken panes of the light and darker areas seperately?

Archived