NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlows and Focal Length on fast scopes

I have been reading on various threads here and on other forums (fora?) that a barlow will increase the focal length of the scope.

The question is, would this affect the quality of the image on a fast (say 4.5f) scope making it better for planetary viewing?, or is the effect limited to magnifying the image without improving quality?

Any information will be appreciated

Nick

A good Barlow does'nt exactly improve the optical quality of the telescope, however, the effective narrowing of the focal plane angle does tend to make the eyepiece a little more forgiving. You also retain the apparent field of view and the eye lens diameter of the eyepiece which can be beneficial.

Thanks for the response Peter, would this mean then that a mediocre eyepiece would improve its performance in a fast scope with a good barlow (or any barlow for that matter)?

I don't think a Barlow lens, however good, would significantly improve a mediocre eyepiece, it depends on what you mean by mediocre. What I really maent was that, due to the Barlow creating a longer effective focal length, less sophisticated and hence less expensive eyepieces can still work well with short focal length objectives which normally require the more expensive types.

Archived