NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3-2 Broken Latitude Adjuster

Good evening,

I have a Skywatcher 150P EQ3-2 Reflector and recently loaned it to a friend who is looking to get into astronomy.

Upon the return of my scope I discovered that the front latitude adjuster was broken/snapped off.

This hasn't caused me too many probs when observing but I want to upgrade and will need to to sell the 150P including mount. I suppose I could just sell the tube and keep the EQ3-2 or sell the lot to my 'friend' if he will have it.

Is it expensive to purchase a new EQ3-2 manual mount as I don't think it is possible to repair?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Don't go to that extreme, Buying another mount. Someone will surely give you some advice on how to repair it.

The EQ6 Mounts were also prone to latitude bolts bending, or breaking. A new set of Heavy duty High Tensile replacements are available for the mount now. It may well be a similar replacement is available for the EQ3-2. If you give an Idea of where you live, there may be somebody close who could help.

Don't give your address, just the area will do. I don't know if there is a clue in your user name as to which county you live in.:)

Ron.

Well, we have a member who lives in Hereford, so if he sees this, he might offer you some help. I won't give his name, I would rather he did that. Don't worry that it has broken deep inside. there will be a way to get at it, I'm sure.

Ron.

you could try drilling it out with a bolt extractor (available from Halfords) or the DIY way is to use a drill bit 3/4 diameter of the bolt in question then use a tap & die to recut the screwthread. Youve nothing to lose as the bolt is sheared off anyway

I reckon a screw extractor will do it fine but take the weights off the mount first and loosen off the opposite bolt as it will be putting the broken 'stub' under tension which may make it harder to remove.

FYI the same guy who does the EQ6 replacement ones also does others so drop him an email, it's this guy :-

astrodevelopments

Archived