Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Activity 05 Jul

brianb

Missed two days due to cloud, wind & rain, and the morning was also cloudy, but the afternoon was better with sunny periods between shower clouds and fairly decent seeing, though the strong wind was a nuisance.

A new active group has appeared in the north west, quite close to the position of the large filament, which appears to have faded and fragmented.

Sun-100705-1312-1315-Ha-AR1086-X25-.jpg

1312 - 1315 UT. Solarscope 60, 2.5x Powermate, DMK21 (two frame mosaic)

Sun-100705-1430-WL-AR1086-FLTX4.jpg

1430 UT. WO FLT 110, Lunt solar wedge, 4x Imagemate, DMK21

Sun-100705-1343-CaK-AR1086-FLTX25.jpg

1343 UT. WO FLT 110, Lunt B1200 CaK diagonal, 2.5x Powermate, DMK21

AR 1084 continues with apparently little change:

Sun-100705-1311-Ha-AR1084-X25.jpg

1311 UT. Solarscope 60, 2.5x Powermate, DMK21

Sun-100705-1428-WL-AR1084-FLTX4.jpg

1428 UT. WO FLT 110, Lunt solar wedge, 4x Imagemate, DMK21

Sun-100705-1344-CaK-AR1084-FLTX25.jpg

1344 UT. WO FLT 110, Lunt B1200 CaK diagonal, 2.5x Powermate, DMK21

Prominences were small but numerous. A notable very small but pright prominence with interesting structure was on the east limb:

Sun-100705-1324-Ha-promE-X25.jpg

1324 UT. Solarscope 60, 2.5x Powermate, DMK21

An active prominence on the west north west limb:

Sun-100705-1320-Ha-promWNW-X25.jpg

1320 UT. Solarscope 60, 2.5x Powermate, DMK21

and a quiescent type with interesting structure to its north

Sun-100705-1317-Ha-promNW-X25.jpg

1317 UT. Solarscope 60, 2.5x Powermate, DMK21

Here's the CaK overview:

Sun-100705-1259-CaK.jpg

1259 UT. Coronado PST CaK, prime focus, DMK41

Transparency very good though with some interruptions from shower type cloud blown by the strong wind. Seeing better than average, fairly good at times though wind vibration was a serious hinderance. Temperature 17C, wind N force 4-5 occasionally 6.

Do you still use Baader Solar Film in combination with the solar / CaK wedge diagonals?

I might considering saving up for a solar wedge later this year. If you can use it with a C8-S together with the Baader Solar Film.

No, the solar wedge comes with a ND 3.0 filter that MUST repeat MUST be used in the exit side of the wedge. There is no film over the objective, this is where the (small) performance improvement comes from - less scatter at a clean unsilvered glass surface than in the film.

A solar wedge cannot be used with any sort of scope other than a conventional refractor ... the concentration of heat would ruin the secondary if used with a reflector or catadioptric scope. You can't safely use a focal reducer, field flattener or Barlow between the scope and the wedge either, again because of the concentrated heat.

Solar film will work very well with your C8-S though finding steady seeing with strong sunlight heating the surroundings is a real challenge.

No, the solar wedge comes with a ND 3.0 filter that MUST repeat MUST be used in the exit side of the wedge. There is no film over the objective, this is where the (small) performance improvement comes from - less scatter at a clean unsilvered glass surface than in the film.

A solar wedge cannot be used with any sort of scope other than a conventional refractor ... the concentration of heat would ruin the secondary if used with a reflector or catadioptric scope. You can't safely use a focal reducer, field flattener or Barlow between the scope and the wedge either, again because of the concentrated heat.

Solar film will work very well with your C8-S though finding steady seeing with strong sunlight heating the surroundings is a real challenge.

Ok thanks for clearing that up. As the Lunt site doesn't say much about it. But I was afraid you could only use it with refractors.

I just thought that I might have been able to use it in combination with the solar film on the objective.

Shame tho. As indeed, steady seeing is a real pain with my C8-S.

How about looking for a cheap refractor? I use a cheap Synta 90mm f11 and it works incredibly well indeed. Needn't cost you much for the scope and filter, pop it on the CG5.

Nice images Brian...as always.

How about looking for a cheap refractor? I use a cheap Synta 90mm f11 and it works incredibly well indeed. Needn't cost you much for the scope and filter, pop it on the CG5.

Nice images Brian...as always.

Well, before the end of the year I want a 72mm or 80mm ED refractor anyway. To complement my 8" SCT. ;)

Archived