First telescope?

I'm saving up for Orion SkyQuest XT6 Classic Dobsonian Telescope. Until then I just want something even more cheap to get going with. I'm considering the Celestron Firstscope w/ a barlow lens. Any suggestions? Is this a good idea?

Hello,

I have the Celestron and the skyliner (brought the Celestron first)

there is no comparison. The celestron is a good scope and great value but i wouldnt expect too much from it, the eyepeices you get are poor and i found anything but the moon pretty impossible viewing. i did through a good eyepeice just about make out the rings of saturn in it back when saturn was higher in the south-west about a month or so ago.

If you want a tabletop dob, the 130p heritage is a good scope.

I am pretty sure that Orion and Sky watcher are virtually the same scope different name, Orion for the US and Sky watcher for the European market.

If you want something to tide you over get a set of 10x50 binoculars, they will be a great addition to the scope when you get it anyway ;) and better value IMO.

I think I'm just partial to the firstscope because of some good reviews and the $35 price on Amazon.com: Celestron 21024 FirstScope Telescope: Camera & PhotoI'll add a barlow lense to it and a finder scope as well so around $85.

I have NOT tried it but i would avoid it. Its apeture is what? 76mm?

For ANY kind of use/value for money you want at least 90mm.

Its a toy. I'd buy one for my 7 yr old niece just so she can see the moon. Thats about ALL you will see with it and not very well.

The SkyWatcher Heritage 130P http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Heritage_130P is a much better version of this scope and is very powerful for its size.

A much better investment at only £130 and the 10mm and 25mm EP's that come with it are NOT the worst in the world.

Dealers - Sky-Watcher U.S.A. Telescopes and Optics

Have a hunt around, TBH cheap and beginners scope really don't go together, you will be better saving for that XT6 and download stellarium a free Planetarium type package and learn the night skies with your Mk1 Eyeball. Then when you get your scope you will be wowed.

I cannot comment in the 100mm reflector, looks like it would be a fast scope so not very friendly on cheap eyepieces.

Archived