NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ISS with Progress visible

Watching the 23:00 pass over the UK tonight, I noticed a smaller,

dimmer object about 10° in front of the ISS. At first I presumed it

was a high flying plane, but the two objects were following the

exact same path, so that seemed like too much of a coincidence.

Afterwards I looked it up on LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE AND SPACE SHUTTLE TRACKING AND PREDICTIONS and it appears

to have been the Progress craft that missed docking with the

ISS a few days ago.

I was surprised that it was visible, as I would've thought it was

too small to see on its own.

I saw it too. My wife paid a rare, but timely, visit to the garden obsy just as they appeared and we both watched them go over. I assumed that the fainter object in front was the failed docking craft.

Just wondered if anyone knows how far apart they are?

I saw it too. My wife paid a rare, but timely, visit to the garden obsy just as they appeared and we both watched them go over. I assumed that the fainter object in front was the failed docking craft.

Just wondered if anyone knows how far apart they are?

The easiest way to check this is to go to the LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE AND SPACE SHUTTLE TRACKING AND PREDICTIONS site. This gives you satellite tracks superimposed on Google maps. Select the ISS and add it to your tracking list then select Progress M -06 (the top item in the next column on the main page) and add that to your tracking list. Then click track and select the button to keep objects centred on the map. That shows you both the orbital path and where the satellites are passing over in real-time.

I also got my first view of a spacecraft trailing the station yesterday at 22:54 - I looked at it through my telescope and saw that it had a shape to it, although I didn't look for any specific details. It's amazing to see things like that.

if you Google "heavens above" and find the - you can put your location in and it will let you know when its passing over your location

Thanks, somehow I manage to keep missing it for one reason or another. I'll try again tonight!

Archived