Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope to laptop

Hi all,

I would like to connect my laptop to my CPC 800 and the book says that I need a RJ45 to DB9 cable. The only place that I've seen them on the web is in the USA. Does anyone have any idea where I can get one over here, please?

If needs be I can get the ends and a length of cable and make one myself. But the thought occurs that I am going to have to use a DB9 to USB to attach it to the laptop as said laptop has not got a DB9 fitting, only USB. So, why not RJ45 to USB anyway.

Has anyone come across this situation before?

Cheers, Layor

You need the cable that was supplied with your CPC and a serial to USB converter such as this one from Astronmiser:-

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

That's what I use for both the CPC and SLT and it works perfectly on my Windows XP laptop and netbook for both updating the hand control and motor firmware and for controlling the scope using software on the said laptop and netbook.

For software I use Stellarium (with Stellarium Scope), Carte Du Ceil and Nexremote.

Brinders

Hi Brinders,

I bought my CPC from one of our forum members and he gave me all he had but no cable. Although I will try and get in touch to see if he has found one.

And thanks for the link!

I'm using windows 7 64 bit so hopefully I shouldn't have any problems.

Chers, Layor

Archived