Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Max magnification in poor seeing

Nick P

I have quite a limited view from my current location and cannot see directly overhead or particularly high up from the horizon. As i will be concentrating on planetary viewing I would be interested in your opinions of looking at objects low to the horizon (around 20 - 70 degrees above the horizon) and what you find to be the most useful magnification and still able to discern detail?

Many thanks for your help

Nick

Planetary observations do depend on seeing conditions, but as long as there is a steady atmosphere, the chances of seeing detail is good.

In fact a light fog is a fairly good indicator of steady seeing, and will not in itself inhibit the views you get. As far as magnification, or high powers, that will depend on the conditions prevailing at the time.

There is a useful limit, which you will find out yourself by simply upping the power until degradation starts to cut in, then you can back off to give yourself the best you will get from a particular scope/eyepiece combination. Going too high is pointless, and usually not the fault of the optics.

Ron.

Thanks for the response Ron, I am looking at a new high (ish) power EP a 6mm gives me 200x and a 5mm gives 240x, and rather than get something that wont get used because its too powerful, I would rather have a less powerful EP that is more useful.

Archived