Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which wedge?

Hi,

i've got a Celestron CPC-800 (alt/az) scope and have been imaging quite successfully for a couple of years now.

But so that i can expose for longer periods of time i know that i need to get a wedge.

People have told me that the celestron wedge is not quite as good as another UK made wedge but for the life of me i cant remember the manufacturers name.

So can anyone advise me on which wedge i should purchase for my scope.

Thks in advance.

The Orbit Wedge is amazing but expensive. The Astrotrac polarscope that came with it was a bit plastic and not very well made but the wedge itself is a top bit of kit. Its very stable with my Nexstar 8 GPS mounted on it.

Occasionally the celestron wedge comes up second hand for a couple of hundred quid. It does do the job but I wouldn't put anything more than a cpc-800 on it.

The problem is that brand new it's circa £350 and the upgrade kit (pretty essential) is another £150 - and imho there's no way it's worth £500 brand new. At that price it's a really tacky piece of equipment alongside their smashing scopes, and too easy to break - particularly the azimuth adjuster.

The Orbit is a superb bit of engineering - but v.pricey.

Archived