Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

21mm Ethos vs 31mm Nagler vs 41mm Panoptic

I agree with Mark here. I have a Nagler 31mm and a Nagler 20mm but very often I find myself skipping straight from the 31 to the 13mm Ethos.

I had the 13E, 20T5 and 31T5 and had the same experience - the 20T5 is my favourite of all the Naglers, but I found I didn't need anything to fill the gap between 13E and 31T5.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UWAN was sold as I had a line on a TV Nagler but that fell through, anyway a 26mm Nagler will fill the case in due course!!

I have the 17mm Ethos and as I said a 41mm Panoptic which I love for it's wide field low power gazing:)

I use the Information Televue publish on their website to see what the true field of view I get with each EP and then look for something which fills the gap. I have two Ethoi and they're great but I don't see me getting a 21mm sometime soon, the true field of the 17mm and the Panoptic are split almost perfectly with the 26mm Nagler.

I understand the benefits in contrast of the shorter focal length Ethos designs but viewing comfort and the true area of sky being observed are also important to me.

I had the 13E, 20T5 and 31T5 and had the same experience - the 20T5 is my favourite of all the Naglers, but I found I didn't need anything to fill the gap between 13E and 31T5.

I looked through a 20mm T5 and couldn't believe how easy it was to look through. In fact the easiest of all the ones I have tried. Have you still got the T5 or did you sell?

I don't know if I can resist the lure!!!!!

Easy to use, pin sharp and all-round awesome. I sold it. :D

I had the 12T4, 20T5 and 31T5, and that was a brilliant set of Naglers - I love the 12T4 too. Then they released the Ethos, so I sold both the 12T4 and the 20T5 to pay for it - as the 20T5 only had a minimal increase in FOV over the Ethos. And the Ethos is a supreme eyepiece, but I still miss the 12T4/20T5.

The UWAN was sold as I had a line on a TV Nagler but that fell through, anyway a 26mm Nagler will fill the case in due course!!

I have the 17mm Ethos and as I said a 41mm Panoptic which I love for it's wide field low power gazing:)

I use the Information Televue publish on their website to see what the true field of view I get with each EP and then look for something which fills the gap. I have two Ethoi and they're great but I don't see me getting a 21mm sometime soon, the true field of the 17mm and the Panoptic are split almost perfectly with the 26mm Nagler.

I understand the benefits in contrast of the shorter focal length Ethos designs but viewing comfort and the true area of sky being observed are also important to me.

Interesting because the 21mm Ethos and the 26mm Nagler have pretty much the same FoV. Is it the price that puts you off?

Well price is a factor, but on the whole i find the slightly smaller AfoV more comfortable to use.

As I said, the panoptic is just so comfortable and easy to use.

just my view on things, there is no doubt the technical achievement of the Ethos EP's and they are something else but just occassionally the massive field is a strain to my eyes...

Divide the focal length of the candidate eyepieces by the f/ ratio of the fastest scope you intend buying = exit pupil in mm. Any thing bigger than 6 is a waste of time to some degree, some light is being stopped by your iris. My widest eyepiece is a 26 nagler, which I use on an f4.7 scope. Calculation = 5.5mm. It works a dream. But dont get too hung up, ppl report breaking this rule and seeing fine results. Expect the sky background to look greyish.

Archived