Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hubble 3D Imax

Holliday

On Tuesday I finally managed to go and see Hubble 3D at the London Science Museum.

I didn't really know what to expect, even having watched the trailer previously, all I know is that it was about an hour long and mostly narrated by Leonardo Di Caprio.

Having not thought it would be that busy, since it was a weekday and pretty damn hot outside. I hadn't anticipated school trips, the cinema was pretty full, this both added to the experience but also an annoyance. These school kids were running a practical joke of one of them randomly clapping during the screening, to then be followed by all the other students applauding for no apparent reason.

The film itself is very well paced, it doesn't go into intricate unnecessary details, but enough so to be interesting. It basically explains how the initial images from Hubble were a huge disappointment then goes onto document the training and preparation before the repair missions. This in itself was pretty cool to learn about, but for me the best part was seeing it in action.

The huge IMAX screen and Surround sound created the perfect team for re-creating what it must be like to see a shuttle launch live. The roar and rumble of the thrusters, the sheer power of it sent a little tingle up my spine as it took off.

With the camera attached to the shuttle (I assume) you get a birds-eye view of the Hubble Telescope, an astronaut working away on this wonderful piece of machinery, with undoubtedly the best view of any workplace, planet Earth. At this point with the 3D, I felt as though I could reach out and touch everything I saw, such exquisite detail, the land on Earth appearing to slowly pan around with it's beautiful ambient blue glow.

Having said that, I think the most profound scene was when it took you on a journey to a part of Orion Nebula. Zooming through space you're bombarded with facts about the speed you would have to be travelling at to reach this sort of distance. The CGI was tremendous. You're taken around and then gradually into the nebula, explained to about all the newly forming stars in this Stellar nursery. It then pans towards one more of the dominant forming stars and wow, just wow, with the CGI and IMAX 3D it looks breathtaking, huge clouds of gas being sucked towards this huge glowing entity.

All in all it was an awesome experience and I can't recommend it enough for anyone to go and see it. Sadly it only shows at London IMAX theatres, no others, but if you're on a day trip to London definitely make the time to go and see it.

Seems like apart from the unruly kids, you enjoyed it a lot.

I have seen the Shuttle launch and Orbit Imax 3D show at the Science Museum, and that was something else.

I visit London annually, and I have been to the Trocadero in Piccadilly to watch another Space film in Imax 3D on a previous occasion. Unfoprtunately I have had to cancel this years visit, otherwise I would certainly have taken in this Hubble one.

It sounds a great presentation.

Ron.:D

Archived