Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Old style EQ5 help -- several questions

Hi All,

I've got an old style EQ5 mount off of the 'bay. Mount is in OK condition, but with a few issues (see below). In general however, I haven't had any luck finding a manual on the web -- does anyone know if one exists?? I'll strip the mount down and clean it up, but would prefer to have a gander at the manual first (I've read Astro_baby's EQ6/HEQ5 guides, but I suspect they are substantially different in the details)

As a pleasant surprise when the mount turned up, I found it had motors on both axes -- hadn't seen them in the picture! Can anyone help me identify the motor type (pictures attached)? I'm guessing they are the DC motor drives? There was no handset/controller with the mount, but I'm happy to drive it purely from the computer if possible.

The mount is missing the counter-weight shaft. I can turn one up easily enough, but does anyone have the rough dimensions (length) for part??

The RA setting circles seem to be missing the Vernier scale (picture attached) -- at least I suspect that is the case reading the later versions of the EQ5 setup manual. Does anyone know if this mount ever came with the vernier part? (suspecting not, at this is actually just a HA setting circle...)

The RA worm shaft has been bent, so the RA drive won't work at the minute. I'll turn up a copy on the lathe at some point. It works OK for manual movement at the minute. I'll get a couple of knobs to replace the missing slow motion knobs.

Otherwise the mount seems in decent condition :rolleyes:

post-18754-133877458197_thumb.jpg

post-18754-133877458201_thumb.jpg

post-18754-133877458205_thumb.jpg

post-18754-133877458209_thumb.jpg

On the newer EQ5 the motors are stepper motors. As yours have 4 wires I would say that they are the same. If you're handy with electronics and a soldering iron then you should be able to 'knock something up' to drive them.

Steve

Archived