Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

is it possible?

Kris, you don't need a wedge for Lunar and Planetary. I have done lunar with a NexStar SLT and it's the same mount I believe (or as near as makes no difference). The 1000d isn't ideal as the sensor size is too big (and unless you can convince it to do high frame rate video) the frame rate isn't fast enough. A webcam is a far better tool for this sort of thing... The MS Lifecam HD seems to be doing a good job for people at present.

The first one, the shot details are in the border... Orion, is 47 frames of mixed exposure...

yes you can... there are limits, it's a case of finding them and tapping against them. I found the biggest issue was the mount and drive chain, get beyond a kilo in weight, and whereas below a kilo hitting 60 seconds was easy...2.5 Kilo, I was lucky to get 15seconds. You need to tail weight the scope, so not perfectly balanced.

The 127 Mak is gonna strain the mount and tracking for deep sky stuff.. be great for the moon and planets... I've heard that the 130 hasn't got enough in focus to achieve focus with an SLR... in which case, it might be worth looking at shifting the mirror up the tube a little way with the bolts... I've no clue how hard that would be as I've not user a newt...

it is hard to focous an the newt,will probly look into moving the mirror,im looking more at lunar and planetery work first,dont want to jump straight in at the deep end,will proberly get an heq5 later on too.

superb... With the current setup (7.5Kg of fracs and cameras on dualmount) with a normal polar align just using the polar scope, deep sky is good for 2 to 3 minutes exposures. For my lunar images recently, my polar alignment consists of sighting along a compass and along the axis and getting them in the right ballpark. It's hard to polar align properly when the sky is too bright to see polaris :rolleyes:

Archived