Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balancing with different eyepieces

Hiya all

now that I have couple of starter 2" EPs in my collection, I think I may have some balance issues. I mean, I can balance both axes alright, but when changing EPs, there is quite a bit of weight difference.. (IIRC over 38mm weights over 500g, 26mm over 250g, and much, much greater difference if I want to step down to my 20mm 1.25 TV). sure, I could probably mark the weight shaft for balancing in RA and quickly slide the weights when needed. Though I don't really fancy sliding the tube up and down for re-balance DEC, when it's centered on a target..

Now I know some people use magnets etc. to quickly shift the center of weigh of the OTA but that would mean I need to find a 500g magnet :icon_scratch: (probably even more, since extended focuser would mean a slightly longer lever arm..) Though I will, if needed :mad:

Was wondering if this is the preferred method for people with similar kinda problems, or shlould I not worry too much since the weight's I'm talking here are not too high? But then again, we all know well that good balance is very important.. :)

Thanks

Marius

Televue part No BEC-0005 is a heavy 2" to 1.25" "equaliser" adaptor to make lighter 1.25" eyepieces the same weight as heavier 2" ones.

Yeah. If your scope is not too critical on balance that's a neat solution. A cheap & cheerful one is to get some fishing shot sewn into an old sock or similar (that way you can get the ideal weight) tie a loop of string to the sock & just hang it from the focuser when needed.

Archived