NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Halo

I know its not exactly astonomical related but on the way home from the shop just now i saw a lovely example of a solar halo. Lots of thin high cloud around and almost setting sun. This halo wasnt the biggest i have seen but it was vivid in colours of red,green. It stretched a good quarter of the way around the sun (6-9pm position).

It didnt last too long. It was gone by the time i got home.

Always nice to see this effect though because its not often you see it. I've only seen it once before anf the halo went the whole way around the sun.

Amanda the halo i saw that went the whole way around the sun looked like that but was brighter. Cant say i saw any dogs though. Maybe the one the other evening was showing a dog? It was more red towards the suns surface and green on the outer edge.

Carol the 1st one i saw surrounding the sun a couple of yrs ago was like that but i remember it being more vivid to the naked eye. The one i saw the other day was definitely red around the inner edge and green on the outer edge. Really quite striking phenomenon.

Archived