NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Get a manual backup for 2013, 'cos your leccy one may be fried...

boboco

Just read this Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation - Telegraph .

I am sure they are posting a worst case scenario - but I shall be ready with a manual PST and a big stick for when the power goes out and the raging mob spills out from the cities.

I really must stop reading Post-Apocalypse fiction, I am sure its getting to me...

Cheers,

Karl

Thanks for the warning. Just about time to replace my electronic computers with mechanical ones then :)

There is a serious lesson here: we're all far too dependent on electronic technologies & there are numerous very low risk, very high impact ways in which they can be disrupted. This is only one of them.

Just waiting for the Dail Mail to pick up on it.....

They don't need to. The Torygraph's reporter has made such a muck of communicating the science that the Daily Wail can't possibly do any worse.

"the storm, which will cause the Sun to reach temperatures of more than 10,000 F (5500C), occurred only a few times over a person’s life."

D'oh!

IT's one of those things that will happen someday... didn't a "samller" event cause problems in Canada a while back...

Will STEREO give enough warning for people to Disconnect and will it do any anygood anyway?

I was hoping the Daily Mail would Contact Nick H for a comment (or should that comet...) I know it's his fav read... :)

Peter...

didn't a "samller" event cause problems in Canada a while back...

Canada had a huge problem with an ice storm (freezing rain demolished large sections of the overhead power transmission system) but I think the event you're thinking of affected the north eastern United States ... and the power companies claim that they've solved the issue: an overload on one trunk distribution line (caused in this case by a geomagnetic storm triggered by solar activity) caused it to disconnect, the load was redistributed by the automatic system onto neighbouring lines which consequently also overloaded & shut down, causing a chain reaction. Very little actual damage but it did take several hours to get the load reconnected safely. The system (in the US) is now supposed to calculate the effect on the rest of the grid before redistributing capacity from failing trunks. That means more short breaks but hopefully no more cascading problems. We haven't had that problem in the UK so I guess it will happen, power companies don't spend money on solving potential problems. (oooh, nasty pun there ... sorry)

This was the one I was thinking about...

Ah. That's a different event, the Great NE US Blackout was approx. 1993.

I do remember the disruption caused during the UWC strike in 1975 - revising for finals by the light of a motorcycle headlight in the face of rolling power cuts, 2 hours on 16 hours off, which continued for weeks. These days, petrol pumps don't have a crank handle; shop assistants can't calculate change without help from the till, and in most shops you can't buy anything unless the barcode reader is working .... life would be interesting if a serious blackout occurred. Mind you, no street lights would be a big positive.

Good ole Faraday cage :mad:

I'd prefer to be in a double walled EMC chamber will all my kit disconnected......

Nah just want to keep the chickens from flying away and have something to wrap them in when roasting....:icon_scratch:

Sorry John its been one of those days....:)

Peter...

Archived