NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Arduino Focus control and Cloud sensor

ncjunk

Have you got the focuser in mid travel i.e. Not at one end...just in case in is going the wrong way. Otherwise it may be operating against a dead end...so to speak.

It's got loads of distance to go both ways. It sounds like my focuser should need even less torque than yours....very strange

I'm going to try putting it on the slow part of the dual speed knob, which is extremely smooth and should need hardly any torque at all

If that doesn't work there is something wrong with either the easydriver or the motor

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want me to check anything my end let me know. Check you can measure a resistance on each of the motor phases. Is the fine focus quite a bit stiffer than the normal one?

I would not think it very likely the motor has died....the easy driver does have a thermal cut out so, I hate to use speech marks for this.., "should" be ok...so that leaves mechanical problems..

Another thought...I see you have a flexible coupling and I have a universal coupling.

I can rotate the coupling, with the motor attached and the power off, with some ease. Is yours the same?

I am asking because in your photo there seems to be some mis-alignment in the shaft that the coupling is correcting so I am wondering if that is causing more friction or stress in anyway.

I must admit I prefer the universal coupling to the flexible one as it can cope with my incompetence mechanical a bit better.

Success...I'm really impressed with the driver Neil, once I had put the hardware together the software side worked perfectly!!

Thanks for all the hard work in putting this together ;)

5400510911_e1cea7c3e8_z.jpg

What was the problem Euan?

When I had the stepper on the main shaft it didn't have the torque, as soon as I moved it to the dual speed side it worked perfectly

It's worth it for the extra precision as well I suppose

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, and there is still shed loads to do....got a stomach ulcer so havent felt like doing much last couple of weeks.

Will get there eventually.

What was the problem Euan?

Snap, Ive had a stomach problem (been in hospital) but thats sorted now :)

Ive had no data for weeks, wires pulled out of the box again (my connector block widget arrived weeks ago so that will cure that problem) hope to get back in the saddle real soon with this project.

Reggie has been in contact again so i feel a surge of effort coming on...but not this weekend as my little boy has chickenpox so we were up all night watching pocoyo...and crying.

Now Reggie knows a thing or two about stomach problems my ulcer is nothing compared to his.

I'm trying to get Focusmax to play ball in the obs and not having a good time

Everytime I open up Focusmax and load up the SQL Focuser driver it resets the position to "0", is there something daft I'm doing?

Nope, thats my fault.

I have found the vb express variables that are used like an ini file keep losing their values on start up.

I have been zeroing the focuser at the start of each night and then setting it to 3400...which happens to roughly be my focus point.

I'm feeling very guilty now as thats been on my todo list for ages...

I'm feeling very guilty now as thats been on my todo list for ages...

Tut tut... :)

It's no biggie, I can easily enough just go back to 0 after each session

I can't get Focusmax to play ball, the V-curves look fine but it won't get the correct focus point. Need a decent clear spell (don't we all) to try a few things

It's so good being able to just roll back the roof take the covers off the scopes and everything else is from inside. After this project I could probably build stepper motor scope covers but that's maybe a step too far... :p

No it wasn't, but actually getting the value from the Arduino suddenly makes more sense so thanks for that! Will look at using the Arduino values as master then the driver just gets those values when it connects....

Its as if a little light has suddenly gone on in the vast emptyness of my brain. :-)

why didn't i think of that?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

first / i'am an electronic dummy and come from France.

I want for my telescope an motor Focuser controlled with ASCOM. I have seen

Arduinoboards for low cost.

I read posts about this project on the forum and the list sgl_observatory_automation.

But I still have questions in mind before getting started. For I am not sure to understand everything with my poor English.

I do not know programming so I would like to use your codes ascom ect.

what is your programe is used with different motor driver. Or each driver requires different management?

Did you realize a focuser with temperature compensation?

Is there a website that gathers all your plans with your choice of materials and mounting derscription?

Is it better a simple map (uno) to a function (focus) or take a better and evolve to add more features later? (cloud detector, Resita heating) but surely dificult for a programe to manage the diferentes functions on a single card.

Thank you

Wonderful project in which I really want to get started.

Material:

Sky 90 taka

QHY9 M

Artemis 285

Astro Pic HEQ5

See the answers below each question.

I hope you can understand, i know Spanish but not French...sorry!

I have just bought another Arduino so that I can start testing this again (it was difficult to test as i am using the focuser in the observatory)

Hello,

first / i'am an electronic dummy and come from France.

I want for my telescope an motor Focuser controlled with ASCOM. I have seen

Arduinoboards for low cost.

I read posts about this project on the forum and the list sgl_observatory_automation.

But I still have questions in mind before getting started. For I am not sure to understand everything with my poor English.

I do not know programming so I would like to use your codes ascom ect.

-- use whatever part of the program you want to. There is the visual basic 2010 Ascom driver (uses the Ascom template) and the Arduino .pde for use with the easy driver board. There is another version for use with l293d chips or other boards.

what is your programe is used with different motor driver. Or each driver requires different management?

-- only drivers 1 focus control at the moment. I plan to do support for two next.

Did you realize a focuser with temperature compensation?

-- no. This is not configured as at present i use Focusmax to do an autofocuse before each image group.

Is there a website that gathers all your plans with your choice of materials and mounting derscription?

--yahoo groups sgl observatory control. I have started a source forge project but have been too busy at work to do more.

Is it better a simple map (uno) to a function (focus) or take a better and evolve to add more features later? (cloud detector, Resita heating) but surely dificult for a programe to manage the diferentes functions on a single card.

-- the comms sends a string with a command. This command will be for Focus or cloud or other. I aim to rewrite the focus part in the arduino so that other functions can be performed while focusing. All control actions will need to be configured so that no loops are used (i think this should be possible)

Thank you

Wonderful project in which I really want to get started.

Material:

Sky 90 taka

QHY9 M

Artemis 285

Astro Pic HEQ5

• 1 month later...

Hi, just to say what a great thread you have here.

I was looking at cloud detectors and they cost 200 - 1000 pounds (ish). I was looking at butchering an IR thermometer and adding it to my weather station but then found this article.

As I have a few Arduino clones and other atmega boards gathering dust somewhere I will have to give this a go.

Current to priority is getting round stars in my piccys though.

I will be watching with interest.

Hi there been thinking about taking this project on for a while for my sw 200pds and was wondering where is the best place to get the parts from in the UK?

All what would be the best stepper motor to get for my scope?

All so I would like to say thank you to everybody who has made this possible and well done.

Thanks dazz

Archived