Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Arduino Focus control and Cloud sensor

ncjunk

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

Just uploading a new version in yahoo of the cloud&focuser with a graph. You will have to make sure you check the "Install Source files" box and then go to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ASCOM\Focuser\Source\SGL Cloud Focuser Driver\Resources

and register the NTGraph.ocx (The help file explains what to do). Basically you go to the dos console and navigate to the above directory and then type regsvr32 NTGraph.ocx

The driver then should...<cough>....should work....I reserve the right to completely muck it up and accidentally destroy the world due to infecting your computer with my incompetence.

Oh it will be fine! trust me!

Anyway, it is another update but just a basic graph with a menu to select the range of the y scale. Remember to click on Start logging as the graph is written to at the same time as the log file at the moment (I will make them independent).

Saludos!

Done all that and everything installed ok, now the daft question is how do I launch the graph :)

It's been snowing on my sensor today and I got false readings. The IR sensor was measuring the snow temperature, not the sky... :-/

Guess there's noting I can do. Wouldn't want to heat the sensor and get even worse readings.

I guess we'll just have to live with it. It's not snowing that much in the UK. But it's something I had not considered.

post-14790-133877511593_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

George,

Worked on the program illegally at work yesterday and have a graph that works and can be saved, printed or copied.

Got tomorrow off so going to finish testing the graph and look at the rain sensor

Wow...this thread is now seriously epic

I've been away for a while, I ditched the cloud sensor to use the arduino for the focuser which is now getting built, but I will be back to the cloud sensor once I order another arduino from China

Then I have a lot to catch up on reading this thread!!

Euan,

Theres a version of software now on yahoo which does the focuser and the Cloud sensor. Its a bit basic but now has a graph.

Slowly adding things as i go....missing some form of alarm...and a historical trending..

The list is endless!

Euan,

Theres a version of software now on yahoo which does the focuser and the Cloud sensor. Its a bit basic but now has a graph.

Slowly adding things as i go....missing some form of alarm...and a historical trending..

The list is endless!

Nice, does it do the two from the same board?

My focusing upgrade is now built, just the software side to do now, but I put in a test arduino program and it's firing the stepper fine via the easydriver

The next step is to use an artificial star to get Focusmax up and running

5367702969_44cd89b3de_z.jpg

5368314952_0439b77161_z.jpg

Nice, does it do the two from the same board?

My focusing upgrade is now built, just the software side to do now, but I put in a test arduino program and it's firing the stepper fine via the easydriver

The next step is to use an artificial star to get Focusmax up and running

Interesting. You are connecting the stepper directly to the focuser? No gears or belts to step down the speed required?

If its the same FL as my ED80 it will work fine, if its something like a 120 then it may need gearing.

It will be interesting to see how the c11 works without any gearing...i dont like belts so wont be using one.

Doh!

I'll clean it up...Tonight.

Focuser or Focuser and cloud Sensor.....or do you want one just for clouds?

Thanks Neil

Interesting. You are connecting the stepper directly to the focuser? No gears or belts to step down the speed required?

That's a good point that I hadn't even considered. Is it worth putting it on the other side attached to the slow end of the dual speed knob?

That's a good point that I hadn't even considered. Is it worth putting it on the other side attached to the slow end of the dual speed knob?

I would probably put it on the slow motion knob. Otherwise, why use a dual speed focuser? ;-)

But it depends on how small the steps of the stepper are and how fast you can make it rotate. It might take ages to go from all the way in to all the way out when using the slo-mo knob.

Thanks Neil, I've just fixed the obs PC (ram needed re-seated probably due to the cold) so will try it out now

I have a basic program in it sending it back and forth and it's really struggling, I'm sure I'm giving it max current off the easydriver but may need to raise the voltage, just now it's powered by 12v 800ma, but the easydriver does 750ma max

i05wAnSWfzU

Somethings not right there...what motor do you have and have you double checked the connections.

Mine:-

Quite smooth even with filter wheel art286 oag and dsi attached. Mine is connected to a 3A supply along with an eq6 and the filter wheel.

Somethings not right there...what motor do you have and have you double checked the connections.

Mine:-

Quite smooth even with filter wheel art286 oag and dsi attached. Mine is connected to a 3A supply along with an eq6 and the filter wheel.

I think it's the same one you have (SM-42BYG011-25). All the connections are fine

It doesn't sound very healthy does it. When I disconnect it from the shaft it sounds fine, the same as yours, obviously there is no load on it

It doesn't take much to move the focuser by hand, it's nice and smooth as well

Just tried 12v 1A and it's still the same, you can't be pulling much with those 3 running under 3amps, I'm sure the EQ6 peaks at over 2.

Have you got the focuser in mid travel i.e. Not at one end...just in case in is going the wrong way. Otherwise it may be operating against a dead end...so to speak.

I had my pot at max on the easy driver then turned it down...i can rotate the stepper shaft by hand and it is a bit stiff but moves freely enough...obviously i cant move it when its powered as too much holding torque.

The reference for the motor you wrote is the one i have, just looked.

Archived