Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starter kits

Does anyone know of good start kits for some one who knows nothing at all about AS?

I already have a DSLR, Tripod + Remote for my camera, I just need the scopes, mounts, motors etc, budget £300-£400, but would like cheaper if poss as I dont want to be spedning a fortune until I know I like & know what im doing

thanks

hi.

have you thought about going along to a local astro society and having a look at some of the members as equipment.it will give you a good idea of whats around and how much it is.where in the north east are you,there are few good society,s around there.

ken.

hi.

have you thought about going along to a local astro society and having a look at some of the members as equipment.it will give you a good idea of whats around and how much it is.where in the north east are you,there are few good society,s around there.

ken.

Funny enough im in Jarrow :D

Munkie

Firts bit of advice - run a mile from Seben scopes. Seen too many people burned with them. Stick to the main brands like Skywatcher, Celestron and Meade and you wont go far wrong.

Astroimaging - its a big complex subject and, depending what you want to photograph, the costs can be positively alarming. Your DSLR will be the cheapest bit of kit compared to the rest of it.

The problem with small reflectors is always that they have potential focus problems with DSLRs - this is true of almost all reflectors and on average one person a month at least on here asks the same question.

Before parting with any cash I'd seriously reccomend you get Steve Richards book 'Making Every Photon Count' which will sve you from making expensive purcahses which lead nowhere.

I dont do imaging and I see enough heartbreak from imagers on here to make sure I never start :D

how about a compact camera ?

That will do for very basic and unsatisfactory images, IMO.

I'm both an amateur astronomer and photographer but haven't ventured into astro imaging yet. The main reason is my limited time as it's a very demanding hobby.

Read this excellent primer on the subject:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/48674-dso-imaging-budget.html

But if you do a search here, you'll see on any of the many similar threads that the very least experienced imagers recommend, for quality pictures, is an HEQ5 mount and a 80mm APO refractor. I'm afraid those bust your budget. Though it is possible to do decent pictures with cheaper gear, it will also mean much more hours of hard work and frustrations to produce a decent image.

Archived