Upgrading my set up...

So, I'm a relative newcomer to the astronomy world and so far it's been pretty awe inspiring but I'm really wanting to get more into astrophotography.

All I currently have is a bresser skylux 70, need I say more?

I'm thinking of getting an Explorer 200p on an EQ5 mount with a single RA motor drive... is this going to get me anywhere?

Is a single RA drive enough to track objects?

I'm on a budget so a decent scope with GOTO is kind of out of the picture at the moment. I'd appreciate anyones thoughts on the matter, or their experiences photographing planets and DSOs with similar set ups...

Thanks!

Hi,

I think your choice is a good one - a really significant increase in aperture and performance over your current scope, driven on one axis is much better than not driven - the dec motor does not get a lot of use on my dual drive mount anyway.

Plus you have the potential to other things such as imaging in the future.

Do bear in mind the extra size / weight of an eq mounted 8" - it's a heck of a lot more scope than your skylux 70 !.

I don't image myself but I reckon you could have a crack at lunar / planetary imaging with that setup and a webcam.

I use a TAL pier with an RA drive only and, TBH, it's all you need for lunar and planetary imaging. I don't do DSOs, but someone else will comment on this soon I have no doubt.

Sounds like a great upgrade.

Single axis drive is Ok for visual work if reasonably well aligned - an occasional "tweak" of the dec axis is no real problem. For short exposure, ie webcam work, single motor drive should suffice - it may not really be necessary - but it will make life a lot easier.

The only advantage that I can see in buying two axis drive is that you get the second motor at a relativly low cost! it may one day come in handy as a spare!!

I have the SW 200p, its alovely scope and works well for all sorts of astrophotography, I had it on the EQ5, didnt have the RA drive, but it is a good mount, the only thing i would suggest, is if you can afford it or wait a while, to get the HEQ5 or the EQ6, whether its GOTO or RA.

The EQ5 is okay, but I wish that i had waited and bought the HEQ5 Pro synscan first off, instead I bought one second hand for COCO off SGL and now have two mounts.

You really need to look at what your going to want to do in the future, the EQ5 will do you for the moment, but if you get more in to it ur going to have to spend more...

remember the Syncan upgrade can be added after if you want to do longer exposures and DSO, but it is £300!!! and then you have to fit it, not a problem if you practical though.

post-19065-133877450735_thumb.jpg

left is my brother SW130 and my 200p on HEQ5 Pro right

HTH

Keiran

I would definately wait and get a goto mount as a beginner. You can then do both and open your options. Upgrading will cost you loads more for a few more months wait. After all it is summer, bad viewing times.

Sounds like u want to image, and a 2 axis goto with a guide port mount will be what you really want.

I made this mistake, bought a goto box, old crappy 1990's thing on the web a regretted it from day 1 and sold it for 1/2 the price 3 days later.

I think the 200p on an EQ5 will get you somewhere, but you may quickly be wanting for more in the mount department as that scope will be pushing the EQ5's limits for imaging.

Have a look at this;

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/103758-choosing-imaging-scope-your-views.html

Goto or non-goto is a personal preference, but I find goto wonderful.

As for the scope, big is not always best for imaging. A fast focal ratio is important to reduce exposure time, a short focal length is more forgiving with tracking and lightweight puts less pressure on the mount. So I would recommend a smaller F5 reflector or a small fast APO refractor (much more expensive). Make sure your DSLR is known to acheive focus with the reflector scope.

You may quickly want to get into auto guiding (I wish I had done earlier) as it reduces the need for critical polar alignment and allows for much longer exposures. In which case, with a second guide scope, the EQ5 would be overwelmed.

In summary, I would say smaller scope, bigger mount.

Hope that helps.

Archived