NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron GPS PC conectivity

I have the CG-5 Goto, and I can connect fine via the Handset's RS232 port.

But I have noticed that the GPS (Advanced GT) unit also has a PC Link, this uses a Larger RJ socket (RJ45), I cant find any documntation what this does or hows its used.

Any ideas?

Also the Serial USB convertor cable from Celestron is £45.00 is there a compatible as that seems very pricey !

Hi there,

USB-Serial adaptors are a couple of quid each of ebay, so definitely worth a punt. I used a cheapo one to update the firmware on my SLT mount, so they definitely work. If you have Vista or Windows 7 (particularly 64 bit) it's worth checking for driver support before you buy - I have an old one that doesn't have 64 bit drivers.

The price of £28 seems a lot for a cable like that - easy enough to make that sort of cable, the bits cost a few quid from somewhere like Farnell (free delivery on all orders last time I checked), and an RJ plug crimp tool is £4-£5 off ebay.

Robin

i make leads for a living so let me know... i will need a pin spec or if your just want a longer verion of what you have send me the original.

looking at that lead it should be a problem but you can always try Andy at astonomiser he stocks all sorts.

Astronomiser are great for cables/hubs - they can do off the shelf or made to measure. Their cables/hubs are tested on all their mods and gurantee'd to work with each configuration.

Give Andy a call he's very helpful :)

Archived