PST80 at F25

Televue 2.5X Powermate

Captured in Lucam Recorder, processed in Avistack and CS2

post-14410-133877449632_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you.

Here's a wider 4 pane composite of the area. Merged in imerge though, which is not ideal.. and stacked in Registax mainly for time saving...may do this again in ICE and AVIstack

some absolutely tremendous work appearing in the solar section of late.. really top class!

post-14410-133877449867_thumb.jpg

Lovely images as always, Nick.

I was observing AR1072 and that promenance/filament group on Sunday, but still having a lot of trouble focusing. TBH, the seeing was awful (it was from about 10:30am so maybe a bit late in the day) but even so I'd have expected to get a chrisper 'schimmery' image rather than the fuzy, shimmery image I was seeing.

The trouble seemed to be a that there was a fairly wide band 'almost in focus' between the obvoius 'out-of-focus' extremeties. Rather frustrating..as you can imagine.

I'm tempted to try and build an electric focuser for the PST body to try to eliminate finger-initiated wobbles.

cheers

Paul

Paul

open up the case...and check the prism, also check the alignment on the secondary blocking filter if you can...sounds like these are the problems (troubel focussing)

Have you done the mod yet...those Vixen A80's are still available

open up the case...and check the prism

If the seeing was bad, leave it alone ... it's when the seeing is good but you still can't get a satisfactory image that it's time to reach for the tool box (IMO). Or, in other words, don't risk breaking what might not be broke. Bad seeing - causing smearing rather than shimmering or wobbling - is by no means unknown.

I also have the odd day when I find it hard to focus for reasons which I'm sure are physiological rather than real, but whether it's tired eyes, tired brain or some lack of coordination between eye, hand & brain, I don't know. Just one of those things which goes with thinning, greying hair, I think.

I had a regular PST out on Saturday as well...and at F10 focus was fine...I agree with Brian in that be aware that seeing could be the issue, but...you said "still finding it hard to focus"... and I think yours is a second hand unit Paul? (if so warrantee not an issue)

Prism check is a two minute job, and as you know what you're doing (I have known Paul for over 20 years), should be easy enough

Ah...

So that's an AE ERF? and the prism still in the case,,,and more aperture and no focus...

:-)

not going to say what I think the problems are as I already have in other threads

Paul, from your description it could be several things

1: The optics on the main scope. Have you star tested it since the mod?

2: the optics on the PST body (prism etc)

3: Alignment of the black body to main tube

4: Lack of flatness on the ERF (I tested a load and the Baader was the only one that delivered for me...I know others have used other ones...that's just my observations)

1 & 2 - tasks for tonight..assuming the weather holds...

3 - I have no reason to think there should be any problems here. or atleast no more/fewer problems than if I had gone down the route of having a custom/fixed adapter made up.

4 - well.. lets eliminate 1, 2 & 3 before startin ng to think of spending more £££. Could I get away without an ERF if the apature were stopped down to (say) 30mm (web cam use only, ofc!), purely for the purposes of eliminating the ERF from the enquiry?

Hmm..not ideal stopping it down, as it may not help with other factors...so by that reply I guess you did get the AE one..

Is it an 80mm thread/screw on ...want me to test it on mine?

Drop it over to my office, and I can have a look for you..

I did say....:-)...

Archived