Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hershel Wedge first-time user questions

Hi all,

I've invested in a Baader Hershel Wedge. It's coming with a ND3 filter pre-installed, and a choice of other ND filters and a Baader Solar Continuum filter thrown in too! Naturally, I'm excited, particularly at the prospect of using this with my Equinox ED120.

But...

Is it safe to use the wedge with a modern refractor like the Equinox, given that some parts (the baffles for example) may be made from plastic? I don't know if the baffles are plastic, or metal, but I'd feel a bit more comfortabl;e if they were metal.

Does anyone know what the baffles in the Equinox are made of, and/or can anyone reassure me that it would be safe to use even if they were plastic?

Thanks,

Ant

Ant, I have been using my wedge this morning on a 80mm and 120mm sky watcher ED refractor and have never had any problems with it. Just observe all the usual safety rules when looking at the local star otherwise the consequences could be disastrous. Make sure the right filters are in place and you will have no problems just enjoy. Steve

Ok, that's very helpful thanks. I presume the same will be true for my C80ED? I'm not really expecting any problems, but there are so many warnings and caveats written about these devices that paranoia seeps in after a while...

Archived