15.5 MILLIMETRE Newtonian - the proof!!!

ollypenrice

They had a fair military trial. ie: Me and bro. They remained silent and refused to answer any questions. Water boarding wasn't invented then, or I'm sure we would have tried that. Soft toys/friends, Teddy and doggy were the cowards lawyers. No appeals were submitted, therefore sentence was given. Totally above board.

Andy.

Water boarding was invented all right. The Americans got the idea from the Koreans who did it to to their soldiers in the Korean war!

I'm just reading all about it. It makes me prefer astronomy to history...

Olly

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do Action Men owners do when they grow up? SAS, MI6, policemen, firemen?

Looks like they become astronomers!!!

As regards a commercial version of the miniscope, think about the time. Bertus made the stainless mount with adjustable feet. How long? Say 4 hours absolute minimum. Ralf ground the mirror, coated it, made the minute secondary, coated that, made a mounting for it... I don't know, but it coudn't be less than 15 hours. Probably more like 45. Then you need a microscope objective. It ain't going to be a hundred quid! Shame, though. Skywatcher could do it.

Olly

Skywatcher could make those out of plastic and give you change from a tenner

You never know they could be browsing these forums :)

Skywatcher couldn't make optics like Ralf's in a month of Sundays! I kid you not, I had a good session with his 12.5 inch Newt and I have never seen a reflector in this league before. Peak to valley of lambda/40, secondary lambda/60, which is over specified, watercooled to kill tube currents, ingenious collimation of the secondary to retain perfect geometry. Seeing is believeing and I beleive!!

Olly

I have never seen a reflector in this league before.

Nowt wrong with the design, execution & adjustment is not always perfect though.

Sounds like you're in danger of becoming converted, Olly :)

Hi Brian,

No, I have never been anti-Newt for visual. We have a big one and I like it. It is for imaging that I am all refractor, and maybe for planetary observing. Sadly the seeing wasn't up to the optics when I was using Ralf's legendary Newtonian but he did get some stunning Saturn webammery.

Olly

Colin,

I think a lot of them can often be seen shuffling round collectors' toy fairs seeking out remaining action men and secretly apologizing to them for their war crimes! :)

(... was never really sure about the motive behind the gripping hands thing, was a bit to adult for me back then :D)

James

Unfortunately my action men were forcibly transferred to the air force and tragically shot down when I was about ten (I waited till my mum went out and then set fire to my biggest model plane and chucked it out of the upstairs window!).

Some were in a tank when that too was 'hit' and caught fire. This one was my last as my mum came home to house full of little black ashes and the wonderful aroma of burning plastic!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all upset here, last time I saw my Action Men was when they set sail from Chalkwell beach in Essex. It was the day after my birthday and I was the proud owner of the Action Man warship. I took them to the beach with my dad and managed to stuff 6 men in there. After a while the bit of string keeping the boat tethered to me gave way and the outgoing tide took them far far away.

I salute you brave plastic men from 27 years ago. I wonder where you are now.....

Cracking little scope though, wonder where the telrad goes....

Not the same. The scope I featured ws hand made by two of my guests. Interesting though.

Olly

The ones from SCSAstro are handmade too - although not by your guests I assume! :-) - that is, unless one of your guests is Mr. B. Crist.

There's some more pictures of his work here.

My favourites are the mini truss-tube dobs! :D

Archived